[haiku-development] Re: Optional Packages for R1A3

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 18:30:00 -0700

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  I'd like to point out ubuntu is huge. you've got some room to move. Typical
> windows 7 install is like 10gb's. haiku tops out around 600 or so for a base
> install.

Please note that Ubuntu fits on a CD, doesn't come with dev tools, and
doesn't include both gcc2 and gcc4 compiled versions of all the
libraries.

>  even 10+ year old pc's will have no problem sparing 2-4gb of storage.

Interesting - when I install Haiku, I usually give it between 4-8gb of
storage for the /boot partition ... which I might add, impresses
people quite a bit.

>  again I wasn't suggesting a "mandate" just a fat/thin down loadable media
> format. Nobody likes chasing libs, its aggravating.

Having a "fat" and "thin" version of haiku represents two separate
'standard' distributions of it. I'm not sure how you could have
suggested these were not separate distributions.

As for "chasing down libs" - that's *precisely* what a package
management solution is for... and something Haiku will desperately
need before Beta/R1 at this point. I might add that this is the nature
of "porting apps" - it's not really what Haiku was designed to be like
- so by including all the libs needed to port apps up front, we're
just encouraging bad behavior, dependency-hell, and non-native
software.

Last I heard, that wasn't exactly what the Haiku project aimed to become.

- Urias