[haiku-development] Re: Optional Packages for R1A3

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 17:46:24 -0700

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Random curiosity, why not ?

Our Anyboot images are already too big to fit on a CD. Our ISO images
(with compressed packages) are starting to get close to being too big.

Unless we want to mandate DVD images only, I think adding anything
more to our "standard" image is gonna be painful.

We haven't even fixed our images to include both the gcc2 and gcc4
versions of all libraries (a task that needs to be done for hybrids
now) - and once that happens, we're gonna be seriously pinched I
think.

I think instead of adding more stuff, we should consider cutting
something back out.

I also think we should increase Anyboot and VM images to 1gb (to give
some extra space for downloading a couple packages and/or doing some
minor development). Anyboot is most likely to be used on a USB stick -
or possibly burn on a DVD for a Live running system - so I wouldn't
worry about trying to make it fit on a CD any more.

Having a CD ISO option is still important though, and as long as the
packages compress to fit, I don't see a problem. We would obviously
want to keep a few things uncompressed - to do LiveCD install/recovery
operations anyway.

> fat/thin distros are the best of both worlds.  A thin distro for developers
> and tweakers, a fat iso for the common folks who just want to get to work.

I think at this particular junction, Haiku doesn't have
time/resources/marketshare to start offering multiple distros.

I would guess that the people who are most likely to pick up haiku and
play with it anytime soon are looking for functional pieces
first-and-foremost. I think the default Haiku distribution should try
to stay trim and target developers - and include necessary tools (IOW,
a browser, programmer text editor, etc.)

Once Haiku is more mainstream, then we could imagine a "multi-disk" or
"DVD version" which comes with an office suite and a few other
goodies.

>  I'd be cruious to see the take rate for each.

Same here.