[haiku-development] Re: OpenSSL inclusion in image

  • From: Pier Luigi Fiorini <pierluigi.fiorini@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 05:23:53 +0200

Axel Dörfler ha scritto:
Pier Luigi Fiorini <pierluigi.fiorini@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
during IM Kit porting I noticed that the Haiku source tree doesn't have OpenSSL. I am wondering why it hasn't been included just like other libraries like FreeType, it's available only as optional package but it makes impossible to build gtalk and msn protocol add-ons from 3rdparty. Is there a reson why OpenSSL cannot be compiled building a Haiku image?

It's big, and there is absolutely no reason to have it in our tree. It should definitely be part of the distribution, though. libfreetype.so is a (tiny) bit differently, as it is customized when built.

In any case, its absence shouldn't stop you from using it. Just have a look at how it's done for our mail add-ons. There, if you want to compile the add-ons with SSL support, all you have to do is unzip the optional image at a specific location (generated/cross-ssl by default, but that can be overridden by exporting SSL_DIR), export USE_SSL=1 and it'll work.
The Jamfile changes look like this:

if $(USE_SSL) {
        SubDirC++Flags -DUSE_SSL ;
        if ! $(SSL_DIR) {
                sslDir = [ FDirName $(HAIKU_OUTPUT_DIR) cross-ssl config ] ;
        } else {
                sslDir = $(SSL_DIR) ;
        }
        SubDirSysHdrs [ FDirName $(sslDir) include ] ;
}

Thanks, that worked. I will try to turn on brain' switch next time.

--
"It's really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them."
-- Steve Jobs, BusinessWeek, May 25 1998