[haiku-development] Re: OpenSSL

  • From: "Truls Becken" <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 10:44:45 +0200

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 10:26 PM, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...] maybe the Ubuntu servers do some kind of checking and Cubans or
> Iranians can't download the same ISO I did.

I would think you're ok as long as haiku-os.org and haiku-files.org
are not hosted in Cuba or Iran. Haiku, Inc. can't control how traffic
flows on the Internet. Still, it's a good idea to become more sure
about the encryption issue.

>> And while we're at it, I also heard that GPL v2 and earlier require to
>> distribute full sources; I read at FSF that it was new for GPLv3 that
>> linking to external sources were permitted. This would affect some optional
>> packages at least if applicable.
>
> I am not sure about that. My understanding of the GPL in general is
> just that sources need to be made available, not necessarily
> distributed with the product, if that is what you are saying about GPL
> v2. Plus I think in most cases GPL code we use is not heavily modified
> and I suspect that we would want Haiku-specific code sent back
> upstream anyhow. So I am pretty sure we follow the spirit of the GPL.

Agreed about the spirit. I guess the news in v3 is that it makes it ok
to link to the original sources and just host patches yourself, while
v2 required the modified source to be offered in a single download.
But I'm mostly guessing here. If no changes were done, linking
upstream should be ok with both v2 and v3.