[haiku-development] Re: OpenSSL

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:26:04 -0400

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 3:47 PM, Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx> wrote:

> The export of 128-bit encryption to Europe and others has been loosened,
> but not for Cuba, North Korea, Iran etc. or so I believe. Not that any
> website security measures would be effective, but possibly a disclaimer or
> click-through might be necessary. Don't know, just raising the issue.

I suspect this is an area where Linux distros could be a useful
reference. For example I can recall downloading the Ubuntu ISO,
burning it, booting the Live CD and installing it and then using
Firefox with no problems on secure sites. Plus SSH is built-in. Of
course I am in North America, so maybe the Ubuntu servers do some kind
of checking and Cubans or Iranians can't download the same ISO I did.

So I guess we need to investigate it more.

> And while we're at it, I also heard that GPL v2 and earlier require to
> distribute full sources; I read at FSF that it was new for GPLv3 that
> linking to external sources were permitted. This would affect some optional
> packages at least if applicable.

I am not sure about that. My understanding of the GPL in general is
just that sources need to be made available, not necessarily
distributed with the product, if that is what you are saying about GPL
v2. Plus I think in most cases GPL code we use is not heavily modified
and I suspect that we would want Haiku-specific code sent back
upstream anyhow. So I am pretty sure we follow the spirit of the GPL.

Ryan