[haiku-development] Re: OpenJDK port

  • From: Hamish Morrison <hamish@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 18:35:59 +0000

On 19/03/2012 08:34, "Axel Dörfler" wrote:
> Sure. Unless you would also be a candidate for this, it would probably be hard
> to find a suitable student to work on it.

Yup -- sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant to propose it as a project for
myself. I would definitely be interested in working on this for GSoC.

On 19/03/2012 08:59, Stephan Aßmus wrote:
> That is pretty awesome! Out of curiosity, did your work benefit from the
> (more or less) recently improved POSIX signal support?

Yes it did. In the JVM I was able to use the signal handling code from
the Linux version with minimal modifications. It seems the previous
porting effort needed a couple of workarounds there.

> Since the OpenJDK project already hosts a Haiku port, have you thought
> about transfering your work there? Maybe you can benefit from the
> "official" appearance.

Yeah that's the plan eventually. I'm going to make a post over there
once I've got everything a little more in order.

On 19/03/2012 09:24, Fredrik Holmqvist wrote:
> A long time ago I wrote the original instructions for building Firefox
> (known as Phoenix at the time) and it did help getting more help and
> attention as it was easier for others to get started. It might be good
> as an example of instructions:
> http://wiki.bebits.com/page/BuildingFirebird

Thanks -- I'll take a look at those.

-Hamish