[haiku-development] OpenBinder (was Re: New Haiku IDE)

  • From: Clemens zeidler <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 12:48:20 +0200

On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 05:53:18 +0200, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

While it might be a little heavyweight, I've been looking at
OpenBinder recently
(http://www.angryredplanet.com/~hackbod/openbinder/docs/html/index.html.)
Since this was supposed to be the next generation of BeOS APIs, I
think it might be worth exploring. Maybe when I have more time when
the browser is further along I will get this compiling on Haiku and

I got it compiled and working on BeOS some time ago (without the IPC stuff). As far as I remember it should compile fine one haiku with gcc4 now.

A OpenBinder like component system would be very desirable I think. It would solve the question for language bindings. It could run objects in different process, or even on different PCs as if they were local objects. For example you could run a BView in a different proccess without need to think about IPC. (thinking about browser tabs...) Writing addons would be much easier since from some point of view every binder service is a addon. You have build in scripting support for every binder object.

But I'm not sure if OpenBinder fits so well for haiku for me its seems the best from COM and the be api are taken and put together. For me it feels like there is a gap between both parts in OpenBinder, but maybe I'm wrong, I don't understand the OpenBinder concept 100% . Would be nice to hear other opinions.

Regards,
        Clemens