[haiku-development] Re: Open Source Dooble Web Browser for Haiku

  • From: André Braga <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 18:55:38 -0300

Em 20/06/2011, às 15:11, Randolph Dohm <rdohm321@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
> so there are 5 linux browsers, firefox , iron, chrome, webpositive and dooble
> and some more.

Haiku is not a Linux distribution. It does not use the Linux kernel nor plain
GNU userland. It's a clean-room reimplementation of BeOS, except for code that
Be itself had open-sourced (Tracker, Deskbar and sample code, mostly). It is
not a Unix reimplementation nor is it based on Unix source, although it does
support a broad portion of the Posix specification.

Some BSD code was adapted and reused where it made no sense to reinvent the
wheel, e.g. the FreeBSD compatibility layer for network drivers.

Because of that, it is possible to port a decent amount of Posix-compatible
software to Haiku, but it is preferred to use the native APIs when creating or
porting GUI software.

The Qt port uses native APIs, and it's a work in progress on osdrawer IIRC. It
might not be up to date with the latest Qt release. I'm not sure whether the
Haiku port diffs were ever synced upstream.

WebPositive is a 100% native Haiku browser, using a native port of Webkit as
its engine. It does not use Qt. That Webkit port has had patches accepted
upstream, but has not been kept up to the latest code. WP's main developer is
Ryan, he's also the main face behind the Webkit port. From time to time another
Haiku dev lends the project some time too. He could use some extra hands;
actually the whole Haiku project could.

The Alpha3 is a reference stable build intended to expose Haiku to a broader
audience, including application and system developers, testers, porters,
translators, artists... If you're technically inclined you might want to join
the ranks! =)

Hope that makes things a little clearer =)

A.