[haiku-development] Re: Once more /boot/common/

  • From: "scott mc" <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 08:24:40 -0700

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 4:57 AM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Humdinger wrote:
>>
>> I'm sorry... again... :)
>
> Be welcome, still! ;-)
>
>> Is /boot/common/ also for sharing data for all users?
>
> That's the whole idea of it.
>
>> If so (in fact, even if not so IMO), wouldn't it make sense to put
>> everything that's now there after installation into a /boot/common/config/
>> subfolder? That would have a nice symmetry to /boot/home/config/ and would
>> unclutter the folder if users share stuff there.
>
> Definitely. But since we aren't really supporting multiple users, it doesn't
> matter a lot to keep the stuff there for now.
> Especially because some software (like the registrar's MIME type library)
> won't work correctly yet when put somewhere else. Fixing all these issues is
> something we'll have to go through, but it doesn't matter right now (for the
> alpha, at the very least).
>
> Bye,
>   Axel.

This probably needs to be mentioned though in the welcome guide.  So
if developer's are reading up on how they should be writing their
software they will understand that this is something that is "subject
to change soon".  Just like the whole move from home/config to
/boot/common as there's many developer's who will need to understand
that they need to make the transition over to the new location prior
to Haiku R2/R3 or whenever multi-user happens.
Don't worry about asking questions though, we want to have good documentation.
-scottmc