[haiku-development] Re: On timeslices and cycles

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 21:08:34 -0400

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 8:10 PM, Danny Robson <danny@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is it worthwhile neglecting a feature because people will abuse it?

I think it is worthwhile neglecting a feature that would probably
require a lot of work and testing, and could impair a running Haiku by
mistakes made by a developer. We already have a big list of features
that everyone wants but no one has yet implemented, so I don't think
something like this would be high on the priority list. Even if
someone provided a perfect patch (extremely doubtful), I still don't
know if it would be a good idea.

Also let us consider the Pareto Principle (or 80/20 rule.) I doubt
hard affinity would be one of those things that 80% of the people use.

So I don't think the cost/benefit ratio is there, based on what I've
read in this thread.

> Any issues arising from misuse of these features essentially become
> the application developer's problem.

That kind of logic can be a cop-out sometimes. You could also blame
developers for misusing memory and CPU before we had memory protection
and preemptive scheduling: "it is the developers problem to ensure
they don't clobber other program's memory or hog all the CPU in
cooperative multitasking." If that had worked out so well the newer
technologies and operating systems would not have developed. I hope
you agree that restricting developers a bit in those areas is good.

Regards,
Ryan