[haiku-development] Re: Odd volume space bar logic in Tracker

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 09:57:52 +0200

Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Does anyone perchance  recall the reasoning behind the very
> convoluted
> logic on when to display a volume space bar in BPose's constructor?
> At
> a glance it looks like a not very good attempt at avoiding showing
> volume space bars for CDs, but it has a number of problems and
> inconsistencies. Looking in subversion history, that code has been
> unchanged since it was imported from OpenTracker, so I can't find an
> explanation there. Anyone happen to remember, and if so, have any
> good
> justification for keeping it the way it is? It seems as if it'd make
> more sense to simplify it to always show them in the case of a)
> persistent volumes, and b) removable volumes with write capabilities.
> Any ideas/thoughts?

No idea, so please go ahead and simplify it. CDDA has been special
cased, because it does report that it is writable in order to be able
to change its attributes - I guess this one should stay therefore.

Looking at
http://opentracker.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/opentracker/opentracker/tracker/Pose.cpp?view=log

Bruno was responsible for the capacity check in 1.11 (which should be
removed, too, as this shouldn't happen anymore with our file systems,
or at least it can be fixed in case it still does).
Brad Froehle introduced the NTFS/ext2 code in 1.7, but unfortunately
there is no explanation for it (I found the mail with the patch, but it
doesn't contain any further info either - this must have been
communicated via IRC or BeShare at the time).

Bye,
   Axel.