[haiku-development] Odd area allocation patterns by some kernel drivers

  • From: "Rene Gollent" <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 18:55:55 -0600

Hi,

I was looking around at a few things and I noticed a few of our
drivers seem to have somewhat strange patterns of allocating areas in
the kernel. Specifically the nforce/FreeBSD driver allocates around
500 areas that look like the following:

590  contig:src/libs/compat/freebsd_  90b6e000     1000     1000     0     0

And the firewire bus manager allocates around 200 that look like so:

 2018                       fw ir Area  947e6000     1000     1000     0     0

Is this intentional? From a glance through the list the areas appear
to be contiguous so I'm curious as to why so many small areas are
being allocated instead of one or a few larger ones.

Regards,

Rene