[haiku-development] Re: OS-Tan for Haiku?

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 20:48:25 +0100

Hi,

kallisti5 wrote:
> Has anyone thrown around any mascot ideas for Haiku?
>
> Everyone knows that if an open source project is going to be successful
> it has to have a great mascot ;) (examples, plan9 has Glenda, Linux has
> the tux, Darwin has Huxley, etc)
>

> I vote for an OS-Tan.. well because I'm an anime geek. and you've never
> seen one of the os-tans's used as a main mascot (except for Transmeta
> linux but that is dead :P)
>
> Examples (beos-tan's):
> http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?album=8&pos=45
> http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?album=8&pos=46
> http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?album=8&pos=73
>
> (MacOS9-tan)
> http://ostan-collections.net/imeeji/displayimage.php?album=7&pos=136
>
> Anyway, just a thought ;)

It's a huge difference to have a cute little penguin or devil as a mascot,
to having a barely clothed school girl in a sexy pose. I know those are
just drawings, but they lean into a direction that I don't find healthy,
and I certainly don't want something like that as a mascot for Haiku.

Best regards,
-Stephan