[haiku-development] Re: OS Internals

  • From: "Patrick Kelly" <kameo76890@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 19:13:39 -0400

From: haiku-development-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:haiku-development-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joseph Grasser
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2009 2:03 PM
To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [haiku-development] OS Internals

Hello-

I am completely new to Haiku, BeOS, and operating system design in general;
I am currently taking a course in OS Design. I was wondering what I could do
to get more familiar with the internal workings of the Haiku OS.

Get into the source.

I understand that the Haiku OS website has a page for people wanting to get
started. I read it, but I was hoping for a more detailed view of how the OS
actually works; i.e. what kind of thread model (one to one, many to one,
many to many, etc), what kind of scheduling algorithms do you use, what kind
of deadlock prevention algorithms you use, etc. I understand that this can
all be extrapolated from the code, but before I spend innumerable hours
pouring over source code I thought I should check to see if this information
is readily available.

If you're taking a course, it would be in your best interest to get into the
source code.

If you're interested in OS design, I strongly recommend checking out the
ReactOS, and AROS projects. There are a number of research systems, and
hobbyist systems out in the wild also.

Thanks.