[haiku-development] Re: Non-latin names in AboutSystem

  • From: Donn Cave <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 14:31:26 -0800 (PST)

Quoth "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>,
[... re automatic translation ...]

> Does that actually work in general, i.e. also for scripts that aren't
> character-based (like Chinese)?

Work at all, or work well?  I don't know about that specific software,
but for example Google translation comes with transliteration to pinyin,
so of course if you have good enough data and good enough software, it's
theoretically possible.

But I just wanted to point out that Chinese is also an example with more
than one possible transliteration.  Someone from Taiwan might use the
older Wade-Giles system, which is radically different, and even if you
supported both I don't know how you'd guess.

One way or the other, a Latin version makes sense to me - whether
I have the fonts or not, if it isn't roman characters it's illegible,
and the person gets no credit.  Extended Latin is not the same problem.

        Donn