[haiku-development] Re: Non-latin names in AboutSystem

  • From: Siarzhuk Zharski <zharik@xxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 22:40:35 +0200

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 19:39:21 +0100, Adrien Destugues wrote:
They can become unreadable in case current font for About dialog on
the
user system has no corresponding national characters. At least cyrilic
names are added usually in transliterated form.
Font fallback anyone ?
If we start transliterating greek and cyrillic, we'll want to remove
accents from latin alphabet too and stick to 7bit ASCII...
I think that's a bad idea, we have utf-8 support and should use it.

That is not a question of encoding, but lack of some codepages in the current font. I see no sense using font with complete codepages support for daily using, because it consumes lot of resource. AFAIR the all-in-one font from BitStream was about 15 MB big. And some fonts are good to render latin charsets, some to asian ones. By the way, the default font can be set on installation correspondent to user selected locale.

Think about some asiatic languages where the transliteration still
uses a lot of accents and other strange stuff, and thus doesn't really
help solve the problem.

I prefer to have usability in mind. That are the names wich are used by those peoples to let the World to know about them. For example, I cannot pronounce Greek so I cannot to identify those guys somewhere else outside of our About System Window. But having transliterated names make theirs chance to become "my handshake and thanks" much bigger.

--
Kind Regards,
   S.Zharski