[haiku-development] Re: Non-latin names in AboutSystem

  • From: Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 20:12:01 +0200

2012.01.06 19:59, Marcus Overhagen rašė:
 On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 6:17 PM, Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote:

> For aesthetic reasons I'd also go with transliterated first. I'd
> like to point out that we already have nicknames in parentheses
> for a few entries. BTW, I'd like to see more people's nicks there,
> so one could recognize guys on IRC.

 I strongly believe that we should use Haiku's capabilities to display
 the correct native name first, and add the transliterated in
 parantheses.

I think you're forgetting the reason for transliteration. Transliteration is useful not (just) because someone may see squares. It's useful because the user will likely not understand all of the original writing systems.

By the way, I never suggested to use automatic transliteration. I think it would make the most sense if the localizers themselves could decide how to proceed in each case.

Rimas