[haiku-development] Re: No serial port...

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 12:02:35 +0100

On 24/02/2014 11:42, scottmc wrote:

>> [Question of complete ignorance, as I've never looked at such serial
>> cards -- how does a serial port connector  (or 4 of them in the Oxford
>> card)
>> fit into a laptop?]
>>
>> Thanks,
>>         -- Pete --
>

> The card is designed for embedded uses on small form factor devices.  But
> it's the same interface as used on older laptops.  the 4 serial ports are
> accessed via 2x5 pin headers with 2mm or .1 inch spacing, I forget which,
> but the one I have came with plug in cables to 9pin dsubs ports.

They should be compatible enough.

The kernel doesn't use the drivers to talk to the serial port for KDL,
it has code for doing that directly (because we can't know for sure what
the state of the drivers are then). But USB-to-serial adapters are not
serial ports, but USB devices when seen from the computer, they require
a driver to make it look like they are a serial port to applications.
BeOS R6 (Dano) had an in-kernel second USB stack to use that but it's
really overkill.

Which means that although they are not supported for normal use, serial
port cards should work for KDL, while USB serial ports won't but are
supported for normal use because the driver works.

François.