[haiku-development] Re: No serial port...

  • From: Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 20:44:14 -0800

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 07:35:44PM -0800, scottmc wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 6:56 PM, Pete Goodeve
> <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I suppose if my laptop has no serial port, there's no way of
> > getting at the kernel debugger from outside?
> >
> > I'm not missing anything am I?  (What I really want is a way of
> > recording the dialog for debug reports.)
> >

> See 2474 and 1504 .  If/when we get a driver as listed in 2474, you might
> be able to remove your wifi card from you laptop and pop in a serial card.
>  The one I have in a mini-pci.  Not sure about what newer laptops are using
> and whether there is a serail card option for them or not.

From the comments there, it sounds like the schedule is "Sometime..Never..."
(:-/)  Pity, becuase it makes it impossible for me to submit a KDL log
if I want to.

If the serial card requires a special driver, though, would it be any better
than the USB serial?  Or is the difficulty that there is no way to have a
USB stack at the debugger level?  (One of the comments said that there
is no USB-serial driver, but I guess that's well outdated because the
unit worked fine to connect to another machine (at 115200 if I wanted).)

[Question of complete ignorance, as I've never looked at such serial
cards -- how does a serial port connector  (or 4 of them in the Oxford card)
fit into a laptop?]

Thanks,
        -- Pete --