[haiku-development] Re: Nightly builds

  • From: Isak Andersson <IcePapih@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 19:33:23 +0100

Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 10:54 AM, John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
>wrote:
>>> Wouldn't it be a pretty good idea to keep the Alpha4 branch in case
>>> there's a serious bug that gets found so that you could pull in a
>bugfix and
>>> update the images for Alpha 4?
>>
>> That is a good idea, we should think about holding onto the Alpha4
>branch
>> after release just in case.
>
>But... we already do keep all the alpha branches.
>
>I think it makes less sense to continue updating the alpha4 branch
>after it's released - why not just start an alpha5 branch and work to
>bring it to a releasable state.
>
>IMO, we need to increase our release cycles - this 1+ year cycle
>leaves a LOT of changes between "stable" releases and causes
>frustration amongst users who are just discovering Haiku. They will
>often times download the last alpha and immediately discover/report
>bugs that have long-since been fixed in the nightlies.
>
>- Urias
I really really agree with this. I think it is a far better approach. I've been
waiting for this alpha before I started using Haiku again since the first
discovery, because the drivers for my video card wasn't in the alpha and it
felt wrong to use a nightly (although I'm running a nightly alpha now). I think
it would be optimal to release a new Alpha/Beta more than once a year.

Although now that we soon have package management, maybe we won't need more
than one more Alpha with the package management system implemented so we can
continue using the same installation, even when we hit beta!

Cheers

-- Isak Andersson