[haiku-development] Re: Next release discussion

  • From: scottmc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 02:29:35 -0800

> From the PM perspective I think the following points have a high priority:
>
> * Support for system upgrades. While not strictly critical I think this
is a major convenience feature. I also think it is a relatively low hanging
fruit.

> * Reorganize the HaikuPorts process and infrastructure. ATM there is
anarchy. Everyone dumps their recipe changes in the master branch. There's
no well-defined, coherent state from which the packages for the package
repositories (as defined in the Haiku source repository) can be built and
incompatibilities between packages built from different repository states
are guaranteed to crop up eventually. Oliver already proposed an approach
to solve the issue [1]. IMO, before it has been implemented, we shouldn't
do a release.

> CU, Ingo
>
> [1]
http://lists.ports.haiku-files.org/pipermail/haikuports-devs-ports.haiku-files.org/2013-October/001696.html

This is probably as good a time as ever to go ahead and create the various
branches at haikuports.  I agree, this should happen before a new release.
Perhaps someone with better gitfu than I could set this up?

Also the system update support has an open track ticket that is in the
beta1 milestone. Perhaps someone can take ownership of it?

-scott