[haiku-development] Re: New Haiku IDE

  • From: scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 09:36:58 -0700

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 9:19 AM, Clemens zeidler
<clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 11:04:18 +0200, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> IMHO, if we don't break through this "barrier", IDEs for Haiku will stay
>> below what could be possible. They will all be nice, each in their own
>> way,
>> depending on what the developer focused on, but I doubt they will become
>> as
>> advanced as Eclipse for example. I also think the chances for success are
>> way better if more people were to work on one project. Obviously that
>> means
>> that if people who have now started their IDE projects, who are really
>> interested in joining, need to pick one of the projects as the successor
>
> What I more like to see are some system wide libraries like:
> - syntax highlighting
> - code completion
> - class browser
> and not directly for development:
> - spell checker
> - dictionary

For spell check, aspell builds just fine on Haiku, so that could
probably be leveraged here.
http://ports.haiku-files.org/wiki/app-text/aspell/0.60.6/1
There's a ton of languages supported by it as well:
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/aspell/dict/0index.html
-scottmc