[haiku-development] Re: New Haiku IDE

  • From: Pieter Panman <pieter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 17:03:21 +0200

Hi all,

On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 16:40 +0200, Salvatore Benedetto wrote:
> Well, it is happening with Haiku itself and all its main application
> (see browser,
> mediaplayer, Debugger). Why shouldn't/couldn't happen for the IDE as well?

I agree with what Bruno just posted. This is 'third party' at work, and
Haiku itself has little influence on what happens. I suppose it is a
part of growing up. But I just wanted to say this, and I hope the IDE
developers will at least read it :).

I do think that combining efforts to create one killer IDE would be
best. Just imagine: Take the text editor from Sisong, using the project
management from Paladin, the GUI editing power from Daiku and the
debugging power from the Haiku provided debugger and put them in one
integrated whole. (I just picked these as an example list, I only looked
at the screenshots)

It will not be easy. Some parts of code will have to be dropped in favor
of other code. It will take proper teamwork between the component
developers. And yes, it means that sometimes the project as a whole
heads into a different direction than an IDE individual developer had
intended. Think of it as longer term benefits.

*But*, in this way, it has the potential to deliver a feature complete,
well tested and well used IDE, instead of having 4 small IDE's that are
competing for userbase, developer time, while they all reinvent the same
wheels with different colors.

Perhaps the IDE developers could at least start an email discussion
either publicly here, or privately amongst each other, just to see if
there is interest in such direction. Can't hurt to at least email about
it.

And this would still be a third party development, I would think, but
with more collaboration. Haiku doesn't have to control, but it can
contribute.

Call me an optimist :), rant off.
Pieter