[haiku-development] Re: Networks Preferences #2

  • From: Philippe Houdoin <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 12:12:33 +0200

Fredrik Modèen said:
>> Yes but it's really from 2004 but was not checked in until now when I
>> asked for it :)
>>
>> It's only for test and not intended to be complete.

But your changes to adapt it to Haiku net interfaces API make it less
useless than my 2004 version, as now the actual interface status is
shown and configurable.
I plan to add network notification support so interfaces status list
will be updated live.

> I also think that the BListItem that Philippe did looks really great
> especially if you change the icon to what ever what type of hardware there
> exist on the list, like wlan icon for welan modem, usb (for usb network)
> etc.

The current implement is an hack.
I think an API to get interface device icon, similar to what is
available for disk devices, is missing in network stack.
That way, our stack could provide builtin generic (vector!) icons for
wired or wireless/internal or external (usb, firewire) adapters.
And any network driver developer could eventually supply is own
hand-made icon, if he want.

What also is missing is some disabled/failure/up&running (red cross,
orange road-signal shape, green dot ?) overlays to display over icon
or near it so in one
shot user can get a visual overview of all his interface(s) status.

So, icon / graphics guys, your help is welcome!

Ryan said:
> Casalinuovo has also put a lot of work into our current network prefs,
> so it might be nice to see about combining these if both have useful
> features.

The interface list you guys seems to like is quite self-contained and
could be easily ported in another network prefs.
Dario's location/profile management seems far better working, while
mine is still in 2004 shape, aka unfinished.
I'll see if and how I could combine all these features into one.

Regarding Connect On Demand, aka Dialup aka PPP, it should be a
interface too, but with custom configuration view.
But until we port Waldemar PPP stack to today Haiku stack API, there no hurry.

> Based on the screenshot the one Fredrik just added looks
> nice and simple.

Well, instead of looking a 5 year old screenshot, everybody should be
able to build it and run it on Haiku since r33163:
cd src/tests/kits/net/preflet
jam
cd generated/objects/haiku/x86/release/tests/kits/net/preflet

The add-ons should be relocated in an "add-ons" folder in same parent
folder than the NetworkSetup binary.

And, yes, Dummy, Multiple and Services does nothing. They are only for
testing NetworkSettings add-ons API.
The later make sense, though. But should be adapted fron inetd.conf to
new Haiku services configuration API/schema before.

Bye,
  Philippe.