[haiku-development] Re: Network Configuration

  • From: Gerald Zajac <zajacg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 09:51:20 -0400

Ithamar R. Adema wrote:
Hi,

After doing a little work on the "new" network preflet in /src/tests/kits/net/preflet, and wanting to further complete this, I've noticed a few things, that I would like some opinions on. It touches on the following subjects:

Profiles:
* I presume we want the 'interfaces' and 'services' settings, currently stored in /boot/common/settings/network, to be contained in those profiles. However, the net_server is only aware of these files. I presume we want to extend the net_server to support profiles, and then let the preflet configure/activate them? * Also, am I correct that nothing in the current source is actually writing to /boot/common/settings/network/interfaces yet?

Preflet UI:
* Pressing the Configure button for an Interface pops up a similar window as the current Network preflet. Would it be ok to show the content of that window as part of the new preflet window instead of opening a new window? * Personally, I prefer tabs over the popup menu used to switch between interfaces and services configuration views, what is the general opinion on this?

How about adding the ability in the Network preflet to disable a network interface. I recently installed Haiku on a computer which had a network interface build into the mother board (VIA Rhine with device ID 0x3065) and a 3Com PCI network card (device ID 0x9055). Although the ethernet cable was connected to only one of the interfaces, WebPositive was unable to access any web sites, and trying to configure the connected network interface using DHCP with the Network preflet did not solve the problem. However, after I removed the 3Com PCI network card and configured the VIA Rhine for DHCP, I was able to access the internet without any problems.

It appears that when both network interfaces were available, Haiku was confused about which connection to use.

-- Gerald