[haiku-development] Re: Network Configuration

  • From: "Ithamar R. Adema" <ithamar.adema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 16:10:12 +0200

Hi Philippe!

I hope you don't mind me working on your code, I just really like the look of the preflet, and would love for us to have a proper network configuration panel (I was looking into wireless network configuration, that's how I got stuck into this :P)

Philippe Houdoin wrote:
IIRC, the initial plan was to use a /boot/common/settings/network/current symlink to the active profile stored under /boot/common/settings/network/profiles/<profile_name>. But since these old days, we now have a net_server which handle applying user-configured settings, maybe it's easier to make net_server profiles-aware than playing with symlink.
Right, I'm keeping the symlink at the moment, as I first want the preflet to be as functional as possible without disturbing the rest of the system (yet).
The Interfaces add-on should do it, as it reuse (steal ;-)) most of the actual Network preflet code to do it.
See here:
http://dev.haiku-os.org/browser/haiku/trunk/src/tests/kits/net/preflet/InterfacesAddOn/EthernetSettingsView.cpp#L304

But maybe it's broken.
I just didn't see the code, somehow overlooked it....
In fact, long time ago when I started this "new" :-) preflet what I had in mind was using an OutlineListView for interfaces, with configuration view as child, in order to avoid popup and clobbering the interface list. However, keep in mind that currently the configuration is simple, but with wireless interfaces and eventually bluetooth ones too such configuration could quickly become more complex.
True, not quite sure what the best approach would be here.... I like the clean look of it now, want to keep it that way....
> * Personally, I prefer tabs over the popup menu used to switch between interfaces > and services configuration views, what is the general opinion on this?

I must confess that Haiku's tabs were ugly at the time I modelled this window, so I've followed the MacOS X design then. Now our tabs looks great, and if each "tab" could host a more complex (and eventually dynamic) sub-configuration layout, thanks to Layout API, we don't need that much tabs, Interfaces, Wireless & Services comes to my mind mostly.
Ah, the old days.... Yeah, I think I remember the "pointy" ones, agreed the current ones look much better...

What would you want the "Wireless" tab for? I would expect the wireless configuration would just be "on" the wireless interface (like the IP configuration currently)...

HTH,

Ithamar.

Bye,
  Philippe.