[haiku-development] Re: Native u-boot haiku support

  • From: kallisti5 <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 06:59:52 -0600

On 2015-03-05 06:14, Ithamar Adema wrote:
Hi, Axelander, Adrien,

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 1:00 PM, Adrien Destugues
<pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

5 mars 2015 04:45 "kallisti5" <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit:

Is there an use for that? Why is using start_linux or start_netbsd
(as we did until now) not acceptable?
It is better to reuse existing code in u-boot, because we don't
need to patch and rebuild the u-boot for each platform. For example
our beaglebone port downloads a pre-built u-boot and puts it on the
SD card.

+1

More importantly even, if i look at this code there's very little
added functionality there compared to the existing OS options. I think
you'll have a hard time getting that upstreamed, I personally would
wait with something like this until we:

1. Actually have a reasonable state of the Haiku/ARM port
2. Have a real reason for making U-Boot changes for Haiku(/ARM)

They are much more likely to accept patches from us then. For now, it
is much more sensible to be able to start an Haiku image from a
"stock" U-Boot I think.

Eh. Then lets decide on *one* OS loader to piggy back on. I'm guessing
Linux as the NetBSD one doesn't seem to use FDT's.

We really don't need to support all the emulated u-boot operating systems
in our buildscripts, loader, etc.

 -- Alex