[haiku-development] Re: NTFS/Reiser and --include-gpl-addons

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 13:39:31 +0200

Hi,

On 2009-08-25 at 13:03:13 [+0200], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> since we're agreed on having the NTFS, and ReiserFS file systems in the
> release, anyway, does anyone object if I remove the GPL_ONLY flag from
> them? It doesn't make much sense to keep it around this way.

Although I am not really convinced of Ingo's viewpoint that the FSF's
GPL-FAQ clarifies (and therefore "overrides") what's actually written in
the GPL itself, I would agree with this change. The GPL passage in question
seems to limit what you need to include in your distribution of a piece of
software that links to other GPL software, not limit the GPL viral effects.
The FAQ's interpretation of this passage is a totally different meaning.

In any case, I don't want to stear up the GPL discussion yet again, I am
just fine with including the file systems, and I think they are very
important to be included.

The AC3 Decoder seems to have been taken care of by the update of the
FFmpeg libs and the enabling of the AC3 decoder in the FFmpeg plugin. BTW,
disabling GPL add-ons will only turn off certain GPL optimizations in the
FFmpeg plugin, if that was not clear to anyone. All functionality will
still be available.

In any case, the update of the FFmpeg libs has brought a number of
regressions in my testing:

* WMV videos that worked with 0.5 now crash in some FFmpeg code.
  (will need to investigate... :-\ )

* The AVCHD clips from my camera don't work at all anymore.
  This problem could be fixed by making sure the correct codec ids are
  reported.

I will need to work on those in time for the release.

Best regards,
-Stephan