[haiku-development] Re: NFSv4 client with xattr support and caching

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 19:19:14 +0200

Hi,

Von: Harshit Jain <hjain.itbhu@xxxxxxxxx>
> Before starting work on NFS implementation, I will like to do some Junior
> Jobs related to file system. Kindly give me some easy tasks to start with
> FS.

Additionally to what Axel said, I recommend getting a stable working
environment set up. Probably best is to build one of the existing FS for the
UserlandFS component, so you know how to debug your own FS on Haiku without
having to restart frequently. If you got that far, you may already dig into
your NFS implementation (because then you get the hang of the development
environment and the build system). There is also the existing NFS
implementation to start from, but I have no idea if version 4 of the protocol
requires a rewrite or not. You should also analyze some existing FS code and
fully understand how and why stuff is done the way it is. How does the locking
work, what objects are there and why? What features become possible because the
code is written in such and such way? If you pick one of the examples I posted
in my other email, I am sure you will eventually have good questions about that
code to complete your understanding. This approach works better in Open Source
  projects, but it involves digging into the code on your part. It's certainly
much easier to help you with specific questions, than to tell you some random
"Junior job" which may fit you or not. Specific quesitions reveal your
experience and show that you have some overview already, it is much easier to
help you from such a starting point.

Best regards,
-Stephan