[haiku-development] Re: Moving away from Subversion (pt 4)

  • From: Stephen Eilert <spedrosa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 15:35:10 -0300

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Adrien Destugues <adestugu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Not intending to troll here, but why exactly do you need readable
>> version numbers for a DVCS? Are you going to speak them over the
>> phone?
>
> Sequential version numbers are the easy way to binary search which
> commit broke some particular feature. I guess some date tag would also
> work, but splitting
> in the middle of the search space is just easier with sequential
> numbers.

Sequential version numbers are not that meaningful when branches are involved.

With [git bisect] you do not even have to know what the versions are,
you just tell it two revisions that good and bad (one of each, to
start the search) and it will do the binary search for you. If the bug
can be found by testing tools, this can even be automated.

--Stephen

Sent from my Emacs