[haiku-development] Re: Mounted Volumes

  • From: Nick <tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 10:21:39 -0600

> Maybe it should be configurable in Haiku?
> To an extent, it is, you can change libbe.so or Deskbar (or whatever
> it was hiding in), but that's rather advanced for an end user.

Actually, it is very easy to do.  If I recall correct.  You create a png image
( I think it is 63x22 w/32 bit color ).  You use QuickRes ( found in BeOS - can
not recall if Haiku has this app ).  Open Deskbar with QuickRes, drop the png
in the right spot ( over the blue leaf ), save and you are done.  Messing with
source code not required at all.

Not an issue for me to do.  So, I can make it look how I like it but I thought
some others would want something different too.

> Give people an option, or even allow them to design their own menu
> icons. It would go a long way to end this fight.

Well, this goes into talk for a package manager for later on.  Someone can
create an alternate Deskbar that can be downloaded from a repo and replace the
default one.  Users then would have a choice.  And this would be an easy way to
do it - offer it as a seperate, download package.

Many here seem to like the leaf as the start button so I do not expect it to
ever change from the default.

I just am used to seeing a text start button from using Windows for many, many
years and it is very difficult to change when you get used to seeing something
a certain way - day after day for lots of years.

Also, just a matter of personal taste.  I seem to like kde w/text start button
( XP style ), then gnome, and least kde w/image start button.  I notice that
there is an image ( logo ) start button in KDE, Vista, Haiku, SkyOS, ..., maybe
others too?   I wonder if other OSes will drop the text based start button for
a graphic version - could be the new trend.  Times are a changing - you can
sure say that.

->Nick

Try Chicktionary, a game that tests how many words you can form from the
letters given. Find this and more puzzles at Live Search Games!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/207