[haiku-development] Mono Port

  • From: Stephen Hite <steveh2009@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 14:56:33 -0400

Well, it seems that the kernel and library development has progressed so well
over the past 4 years that it didn't take much to get Mono 3.8.0 to compile
with gcc4 and one of the nightly builds from the past month.  The complete .Net
Library chain compiled and all the Mono runtime tests passed so that's a very
good sign.

I used the Boehm Garbage Collector library that had already been ported to
Haiku (v7.2d) in place of their version, but the funny thing is, I had to
backpatch theirs (from Haiku specific code from the 7.2d sources) to get the
libgc directory to build even though it's not being used.

There's a SIGSEGV in the Unit tests suite and another one in the C# compiler
tests suite which are stopping them from completing.  I have to figure out how
to track those down with gdb outside of the Makefiles which invoke them as the
they don't tell you which specific one crashed the suite.

After all of Mono's tests pass, the big job is to get libgdiplus ported,
MonoDevelop to build and use their CppSharp utility to get the native Haiku
libraries marshalled into the .Net world.   There are already some HaikuPort
libraries which could be brought up to date.

It's very possible my fixes to get the build to work are the very source of the
crashes.  Time will tell.  But what I'd like to do is post a link to the
patches with some of the minor Makefile edits I made (all this autoconf stuff
is way over my head) later tonight (EST) so others interested in getting
further along have a decent starting point.

Steve