[haiku-development] Re: MediaPlayer : Was Dealing with AudioCDs

  • From: Fredrik Modéen <fredrik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 08:40:47 +0100 (CET)

> 2008/12/17 Fredrik Modéen <fredrik@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> In the end I think that MediaPlayer should host the TV app as well and
>> perhaps a goal would be to have a better media player than VLC so that
>> we
>> can be a true media os ;)
>
> I was under the impression that the Be philosophy (and the one Haiku
> is trying to
> follow) is that a single application should try and accomplish one
> task well (E.g. a music
> player, or a TV watcher program, or whatever).
Don't know if that's the case but it do looks like it. We can still have a
nice easy to use application which can accomplish a lot of task.

Perhaps this are not what Be had in mind but it fits on a Media OS to have
a Media Center application, now this would probably have to wait until
after R2 and then we don't know where we are but my hopes are that we have
Gobe and are closing Linux when it comes to number of users.

> To me having a media player that plays DVDs, listens to music, and
> watches TV is way
> too confusing and actually detracts from the overall desktop experience.
>
> Not to mention if that were the case we could just scrap MediaPlayer
> and use VLC entirely...
If VLC would have used the Haiku API yes, VLC don't uses the media kit and
our codec’s so to me it can't be a replacement for MediaPlayer even if we
try to remake MediaPlayer as an spotting image of VLC.

But I do believe that a MediaPlayer that big perhaps should be a third
part application.

--
MVH
Fredrik Modéen