[haiku-development] Re: Media plugin support - to message or not to message

  • From: Barrett <b.vitruvio@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 14:49:11 +0200

> Having a media player crash might not matter much, but having a video
>> editing
>> software crash might cause the loss of your precious work. Since codecs
>> are not
>> controllable from within applications, it should be the system's duty to
>> run
>> them in a safe environment.
>> Having your application not crash is just one way less someone could take
>> over
>> your system.

I strongly agree.

>  That sounds like a better solution than we currently have; however, we
> aren't doing that yet.
>
> As a side note -- isn't there a way to catch crashed POSIX threads and
> destroy them rather than letting them crash the whole application? Couldn't
> that be done here?

It's not possible since it's hard to check if the shared memory has been
compromised, theoretically you can continue the app to run in Debugger
after a thread crash, but try and you'll see in 99% of the cases another
crash will be show after pressing continue. What you are saying is done
with processes, which don't share memory.