[haiku-development] Re: Media plugin support - to message or not to message

  • From: pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 09:52:27 +0200

> @Adrien: Which app was the reason for moving the media plugin handling to the
> application side and which feature was enabled by this move? The discussion
> threads mention several times that by moving the AddOnManager to the
> application side a very important feature was rendered possible.
> => Your answer will help me to better understand the move to the application
> side and to look out for a server side way of enabling that feature.

Hi,
I made this change while adding HTML video support to WebPositive. On a
gcc2hybrid system, Web+ as a gcc4 app would receive a gcc2 plugin and,
of course, fail to instanciate it. For this to work, we would need two
instances of the media_addon_server, compiled with each compiler, so
they can watch and instanciate add-ons for both architectures. The
server needs to instanciate the plugin to discover which formats it can
handle. Then, the apps need to instanciate the appropriate add-on again
to perform the actual video decoding.

Moving the addon handling to applications removes the need for running
an extra server, which would only be used for the rare case when an
add-on is installed. The only gained feature is the ability to use the
newly installed add-on without having to restart the application where
you want to use it. The debate is wether the cost of the extra server
and additional complexity in plugins handling is worth it.

--
Adrien.