[haiku-development] Map ctime in BFS to crtime instead of mtime?

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 23:38:35 +0200

Hi there (especially Axel :-),

I know that BFS has no place for ctime in its current on-disk structure, so
it has to simulate ctime by using either mtime or crtime for it.

Currently, it uses mtime for that, which has the effect that every invocation
of chmod(), chown() and the like cause changes to the mtime. This can confuse
POSIX-compatible software that doesn't expect that kind of behaviour. In my
case, I had some fun with rsync in order to work around the problem.

So is there any chance of switching to use crtime for ctime changes, or is
there any reason that forbids doing so?

cheers,
        Oliver