[haiku-development] Re: Maintainer of the ARM port

  • From: Ralf Schülke <ralf.schuelke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 20:26:00 +0200

Basically, there are 2 major things to move further:
- More SoC support in the kernel (which would be best done by fleshing out
the FDT support)

I will look into it. And I think some runtime tests in the kernel would be
great to verify a new platform implements the main functions proper.
Why not add a new platform on newos.org ? this os are more smaller and
portable as Haiku.
Haiku have used this kernel too, so it is good when a new platform run
on newos.org to backporting to Haiku.

- Implement a driver for some storage medium to use as boot volume. I was
hoping to implement FDT support into the USB stack so we could use USB
devices to boot, but have not gotten around to doing that, as it turned out
to be more work then I had time. Another option would of course be an SD
Card layer, which could be based off the BSD code.
BSD used a Linux driver layer / wraper , it is nice when we have more
layer /wraper eg. linux, BSD in the driver and kernel space.

For the first tests I made a simple device like the nor flash called fram
(fix ram) using 32MB of RAM for the boot device at a pre defined address.
Then in uboot cmd line I loaded an empty disk image created under haiku at
this address and used it as boot device.
The kernel uses the first partition in this disk as boot device and mounts
the root-fs. So no more kernel panic.
I think Haiku need a improvemend for boot-fs vs root-fs, its nice to
have a initalram-fs.

But now there is an exception starting the boot script when it prepares the
stack width the arguments for the new thread. (Exception: Data Abort)

Is this also common for the ARM platform, or is it special for the beaglexm
I used?
The boot procedere on x86 and ARM and ARM SOC are diverent, we need
improvements here too.

georg

stargater