[haiku-development] Re: Mail and E-mail preferences

  • From: "Curtis Wanner" <katisu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 22:30:04 -0500

> To further Bruno's point, let us consider some of the latest knowledge
> about user interface design: users are not always novices. In fact,
> they quickly become reasonably efficient at using an interface after
> some practice. So all this talk where we are constantly pandering to
> complete newbies really isn't necessary.

I've been somewhat quiet on this issue mainly because I feel some of these
UI discussions have been a losing battle, especially since R1 appears
targeted for "BeOS users and OS geeks" and not for novice users (as has been
the mantra of the project in the past).

I only felt the need to comment on this part since it is somewhat of an
incorrect notion.  Users whether they are novices or have been around
computers since the stone age often need to learn new UI conventions.  Sure,
once they learn them they don't need or want to have their hand held, but
initially some help is needed.  From the little bit I've gathered from this
debate, an icon would be acceptable, but current UI Design conventions would
require that a tool tip be provided.

As for arguments about other menu items, etc., I would hope for a complete
UI review for R2.  Definitely hope that current UI decisions for R1 aren't
made in stone, especially if you do want to reach out to novice users in the
future.

Curtis