[haiku-development] Re: Mail and E-mail preferences

  • From: "Truls Becken" <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:19:52 +0100

On Feb 18, 2008 3:57 PM,  <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > While you're at it, is anyone against moving "Preferences..." out of
> > the "Edit" menu?
>
> Edit > Preferences sounds more logical than File > Preferences, or Help >
> Preferences or Tools > Preferences, no?
> What this menu item is allowing user to edit preferences, right?
>
> > I always find this placement very odd when I encounter
> > it (there are a few apps which follow this logic).
>
> FireFox, ThunderBird, Nautilus, for instance.

Tools > Options... (at the bottom of the menu) is the standard in
Windows if that's worth anything. Even FireFox, ThunderBird and
OpenOffice.org does that here. So if Tools > Preferences was where
Axel wanted it, that can't be too wrong from a familiarity
perspective.

> I'm not for having an "App Icon" systematic menu in the menu bar, but if we
> had such policy, the Preferences menu item should be there.
> Without, it's hard to have a consistent position for such menu.
>
> Meat for a UI team brainstorming, maybe.

Yeah, adding such a menu will surely trigger some "you're copying
Apple!" claims, but that will wear off pretty quick. A bigger problem
with doing anything like that is that it will take ages before 3rd
party software gets consistent with your standard.

Truls