[haiku-development] Re: MIME types.

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 21:35:30 +0200 CEST

Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Axel Dörfler wrote:
> > I think this should be solved inside Tracker. The FileTypes
> > preferences
> > application could of course show the attributes coming from a super
> > type, too (like it does with icons), but that's not a requirement.
> Ok, I will bite. I will implement the Tracker side of this but I
> would
> like to get your opinion. First, this is how it works today
> (supposing a
> folder that has both wav and mp3 files:

Cool! It should even be pretty easy to do this (once we cleared that
question) :-)

> 1 - Merge supertype in subtypes.
[...]
> 2 - Implement explicity hierarchy (using another menu level).
[...]
> 3 - Consider the supertype as a different type.
[...]
> What do you guys think? I personally would prefer 1 or 2 (in this
> order).

If 2) and 3) would only contain the extra types if there are any
additional attributes, I think I would tend to 2). Otherwise, I find 1)
the best, since I don't really care where those attributes come from.
If I think about another type, like text files, I think I also would
prefer 1) over 2), but it's probably something you'll have to try and
see for yourself.

Bye,
   Axel.