[haiku-development] Re: MIME types.

  • From: "William A. Lawson" <lawsonwa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:45:44 -0400

---- Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2 - There is no full inheritance from the super-type to the sub-type. It
> is partial in the sense that the icon, for example, is inherited by the
> sub-type from the super-type (if the sub-type does not have its own).
> But this should also extend for other fields like, for example, the
> attribute list. Audio files are a very good example of this. Right now
> if you want to see specific attributes in Tracker for audio/wav and
> audio/mp3 files, you have to add the attributes to both sub-types
> (considering a directory that has only wav or only mp3 files) So you
> would have to add, say, Audio:Title to wav and also to mp3 file types
> while it is obvious that all Audio:* attributes should be assigned to
> the super-type.
>
> For example, we could have something like this:
>
> audio ---------------------------| wav
>    |                              |  |
>    |                              |  |
> Audio:Title                      | Audio:WavSpecific1
> Audio:Author                     | Audio:WavSpecific2
> Audio:AnyGenericAudioAttribute   | ...
> ...                              |
>                                   | mp3
>                                     Audio:Mp3Specific1
>                                     Audio:Mp3Specific2
>
> And I would expect Tracker to show, in folders with only was or MP3
> files, all the super-type attributes plus the attributes for any
> specific sub-type in the list.
>
> I am not sure this is a Alpha 1 thing (probably not), but I guess it is
> something we should look into at some point in time. It would probably
> involve changes in how the MIME database is handled (including a
> clean-up), in Tracker and in the Filetypes preferences.
>
> -Bruno

I once wrote a little utility to add height and width attributes to image files
but it was quite unwieldy to use because you had to have separate columns in
tracker for each type of image in a directory.

It would be nice to have this issue addressed even if it is simply handled in
Tracker as Axel mentioned.

--Bill