[haiku-development] Re: MIME types.

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:48:20 +0200 CEST

Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> I guess one way to minimize it would be to have "MIME type aliases"
> in a
> way that one specific MIME type is the preferred one (when files are
> created, they will be created with this type) and the others are just
> aliases that map to this one. Those aliases could be partially
> created
> through some heuristics like type/x-subtype = type/subtype but also
> by
> allowing the user to configure this. An interface to allow that would
> be
> required (probably in the Filetypes preference panel).

That was already suggested some years ago - maybe it was even you, I
don't remember.
IIRC everyone thought this was a good way to solve this, just nothing
happened afterwards :-)
It's not really urgent, though, IMO.

[...]
> And I would expect Tracker to show, in folders with only was or MP3
> files, all the super-type attributes plus the attributes for any
> specific sub-type in the list.

I think this should be solved inside Tracker. The FileTypes preferences
application could of course show the attributes coming from a super
type, too (like it does with icons), but that's not a requirement.

Bye,
   Axel.