[haiku-development] Re: Looking for feedback on enhancements for dealing with Mac keyboards with Haiku

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 10:08:22 +0200

Hi,

On 13.10.2011 07:48, John Scipione wrote:
Hey, I'd really like to get the patches on the above ticket committed so
that I can create a subdirectory for the ThinkPad Keyboard Layout files
that I added to ticket http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/8021. There are 8
of them so the need for a subdirectory is even more dire than for the
Apple Aluminum layout files.

Maybe it would be a good idea to give you commit access. You have a good record of patches already. What do others think? It's no good to be blocking your work when nobody has the time to apply your patches.

In any case, do you think adding an exact layout for all sorts of keyboards is a good thing to do? As a user, I've never had a problem with using a bit of phantasy if the layout on the screen didn't exactly match my physical keyboard. I think this is only a problem if the difference is great. It should be impossible to add a layout for all keyboards out there, and I wonder if a crowded list of layouts, some of them only slightly different, is helpful.

Best regards,
-Stephan