[haiku-development] Re: Locale Kit and cross development

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 21:03:50 +0200

Hi Adrien,

On 2009-04-08 at 22:09:41 [+0200], PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm still studying the Locale Kit for my gsoc project, and i have run
> into some problems.
> The biggest one is the tools used to build the catalogs for runtime
> translation of programs. Here are some notes about it:
> http://pulkoteam.blogspot.com/2009/04/haikus-locale-kit-how-to-use-it.html

Yes, I have read your blog entries there and I think you are making quite
some progress already. I especially liked to UML diagram - helps when trying
to understand my own old code ;-)

> To translate an application, we need 3 tools that heavily use the Be
> API and can't be ported to linux easily. Actually, they are relying on
> the Locale Kit itself to do all the difficult work. I would like to
> make al lthe apps and preflets in Haiku localized, so I would need
> these tools on the host platform. They need acces to both the
> sourcecode and generated binary of a program. But they also use
> attributes or resources, that are not available on the host OS. So the
> cross-dev version would be very different to the inside-haiku one.
> I'm not really sure how I should work with that. Solutions are :
> -Create new tools using the same format but relying only on standard
> C/C++. Sounds complex, and there is a risk of having differences
> between the cross- and not-cross- tools.
> -Build the LocaleKit for the host os using the minimal be api
> available in the build system. Does not sound really easy either.

As mentioned already by others, this should not be too difficult, since a
large amount of the Be-API is already emulated for the host OS.
Maybe the locale code needs to be more strictly separated into parts that are
required by the host OS and other parts that are only required when actually
running - we will see.

I have just committed a set of fixes to opentracker's CVS repo, which let the
Locale Kit build on haiku and make it work inside haiku, too. Since now the
tests run through, I hope this should clear things up a bit and make it
easier for you to follow how it is actually *supposed* to work.

Please tell if you still encounter problems when accessing catalogs after you
have updated.

cheers,
    Oliver