[haiku-development] Re: LiveCD

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 23:43:39 +0100

On 2009-01-25 at 14:30:11 [+0100], Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2009-01-25 at 14:23:53 [+0100], Adrian Panasiuk <adek336@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > Apart from the InstallCD, is it (will it be) possible to have a Haiku
> > LiveCD?
>
> I know that Ingo had, a very long time ago, written the necessary stuff to
> make a BeOS R5 live CD. That included a RAM-FS, which I think is the one in
> our repo (not yet updated to current FS kernel interface, IIRC), and some
> scripting to remap the home folder to the RAM-FS during boot. Maybe there
> was more, he would know better.

I would do that differently for Haiku. With the last bigger FS interface
change I introduced support for FS layers. Since no layer has been
implemented yet, the interface has not really been tested and might need
some tweaking, but anyway... The two most interesting FS layers would be (1)
a layer that adds attribute support to a FS that doesn't support attributes
and (2) a layer that adds write support to a read-only FS (by storing the
changes in RAM). (1) would allow booting from filesystems other than BFS,
most interestingly from ISO CDs (as opposed to CDs with an ISO track and a
BFS track). (2) would additionally provide the "live" part.

CU, Ingo