[haiku-development] Re: List of svn-users

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 21:24:02 +0200

Hi,

On 2009-09-01 at 12:00:47 [+0200], Jorge G. Mare/aka Koki
<koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Urias McCullough wrote on Tue, 1 Sep 2009 10:45:53 -0700:
> > On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Oliver Tappe<zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> > > I'd rather like to pull the whole haiku-os.net domain over to the
> > > new hoster,
> > > that way we could test everything under that domain.
> > > As far as I can tell, there isn't anything using haiku-os.net,
> > > right?
> >
> > It's basically just a redirect to haiku-os.org... but I could
> > probably
> > setup DNS in godaddy for this pretty quickly if you need.
> >
> > Is there a specific reason you'd want to split the resources amongst
> > multiple top domains? I would think it will be more confusing this
> > way.

No, I wasn't making myself clear: I was asking if we could adjust the entries
of the haiku-os.net domain to point to the new servers completely, such that
we would have www.haiku-os.net, svn.haiku-os.net and dev.haiku-os.net
resolving to IP addresses of the new server.

This way, we could setup the new webservers to match the (host-)names of the
existing haiku-os.org servers. At a later stage, when we transfer
haiku-os.org, we'd just have to add the .org domain on top.
This would avoid having to add temporary entries to the haiku-os.org domain.

> As a general rule, from a consistency POV it is always better to use
> the haiku-<wildcard>.org domain pattern whenever possible, such as in
> haiku-files.org, the upcoming haiku-art.org, etc.
>
> If the concern is the inability of the server admins to control the DNS
> settings, perhaps it can be arranged for them to have access to the
> Godaddy account where these are managed.

Ah, I have no concerns about controlling the DNS myself - I simply didn't
know that we as a group control the DNS already. I was assuming our current
hoster would do so.

> Keeping the domains in Godaddy has served us good over the years and
> across moves from one hosting provider to another. I think it is wise
> to keep domain management there.

Agreed.

cheers,
        Oliver