[haiku-development] Re: Libferris - an awesome addition to Tracker?

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 15:06:26 +0200 CEST

Hi,

> This weekend at the Home Unix Machines Brisbane User Group we had a
> presentation about LibFerris. It can take structures of data and turn
> it
> into a virtual file system. I instantly thought that this would be a
> cool
> addition to Haiku/Tracker because you can mount something like a
> SQLite or
> MySQL database, Spreadsheets, XML, logfiles or an online service API
> (Flickr) and traverse/modify the contents via Tracker and whatever
> tools you
> want. It would also be cool to be able to right click one of these
> things in
> Tracker and tell it to convert it to whatever format you want.

I know about it, but AFAIK it fakes filesystems by hooking the libc
calls (via LD_PRELOAD, which we now support), which i a bit hackish...

Also, from the description it seems they map metadata as files or
directories, because the POSIX model isn't rich enough.

But maybe we can find a way to bridge it better.

> Unfortunately it is GNU GPL licensed.

Yeah, as usual...

François.