[haiku-development] Re: Let's become root! [ was: Re: Berlios? ]

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 16:47:13 +0200

On 2009-08-02 at 15:46:57 [+0200], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 2009-08-02 at 13:22:02 [+0200], Ingo Weinhold <
> > ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > > The svn server is still not accessible. I like the dedicated server
> > > idea
> > > more and more. Has there been any more discussion on the Haiku Inc.
> > > mailing
> > > list or whereever such a decision would be made? Are there open
> > > questions
> > > or arguments against such a move?
> > I have given the idea some more thought and as a result, I'd like to
> > make the
> > following suggestion:
> >
> > Let's get ourselves a dedicated server and then move all our required
> > services to virtual machines running on that server.
>
> I wouldn't mind moving to a dedicated hosting, as long as we have
> decent backup plan :-)

Since 100 GB backup space is included, that shouldn't pose a problem.

> Although I guess we should move this discussion to haiku-web (I took
> the liberty to forward this mail there).

It's really only web-related in that the web servers would live in virtual
machines on that server. It's not particularly development related either,
save for that fact that the SVN server would live there, too. I'm afraid we
don't have a fitting mailing list at this point. :-)

> > After having had a closer look at several different offers available
> > here (in
> > Germany), I think this one is the best (with respect to being
> > reliable and
> > affordable at the same time):
> >
> >     http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_rootserver/eq4/  (in
> > English)
>
> That looks very promising.

+1

> > If we decide to go with a dedicated server, I would volunteer as a
> > general
> > admin of that machine (and of the system parts of the VMs as well).
>
> I'm sold at that point ;-)
>
> > As a request for comment, these are my current ideas:
> >
> > - VM1: svn repository server
> > - VM2: haiku-os web server (www.haiku-os.org)
> > - VM3: trac web server (dev.haiku-os.org)
> > - VM4: mail server (including mailing lists)

Sounds good.

> > Naturally, there'd need to be at least one more general admin (at
> > least as
> > fallback)

I'd volunteer to help in this respect.

> > and I would have to delegate the administration of the web
> > servers
> > running in the www and the trac VMs to more knowledgable people than
> > myself.

Same here.

CU, Ingo