[haiku-development] Re: Let's become root! [ was: Re: Berlios? ]

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Haiku Web" <haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 15:46:57 +0200 CEST

Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2009-08-02 at 13:22:02 [+0200], Ingo Weinhold <
> ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 2009-08-02 at 03:30:39 [+0200], Rene Gollent <
> > anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Anyone know what's going on with berlios? Since about 8 hours or
> > > so
> > > ago I'm no longer able to access SVN, and their website appears
> > > down
> > > too.
> > The svn server is still not accessible. I like the dedicated server
> > idea
> > more and more. Has there been any more discussion on the Haiku Inc.
> > mailing
> > list or whereever such a decision would be made? Are there open
> > questions
> > or arguments against such a move?
> I have given the idea some more thought and as a result, I'd like to
> make the
> following suggestion:
>
> Let's get ourselves a dedicated server and then move all our required
> services to virtual machines running on that server.

I wouldn't mind moving to a dedicated hosting, as long as we have
decent backup plan :-)
Although I guess we should move this discussion to haiku-web (I took
the liberty to forward this mail there).

> After having had a closer look at several different offers available
> here (in
> Germany), I think this one is the best (with respect to being
> reliable and
> affordable at the same time):
>
>       http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_rootserver/eq4/  (in
> English)

That looks very promising.

> If we decide to go with a dedicated server, I would volunteer as a
> general
> admin of that machine (and of the system parts of the VMs as well).

I'm sold at that point ;-)

> As a request for comment, these are my current ideas:
>
> - VM1: svn repository server
> - VM2: haiku-os web server (www.haiku-os.org)
> - VM3: trac web server (dev.haiku-os.org)
> - VM4: mail server (including mailing lists)
>
> Naturally, there'd need to be at least one more general admin (at
> least as
> fallback) and I would have to delegate the administration of the web
> servers
> running in the www and the trac VMs to more knowledgable people than
> myself.
>
> Once we have these running, we could always add more VMs to the set,
> should
> the need arise, but the first aim would be to pull together all the
> different
> services that the haiku world relies on and get the administration
> process
> into a somewhat more consolidated, controlled state.
>
> Please don't hesitate to comment, as I'm really kind of new to that
> level of
> system planning and administration. All help is truely appreciated! :
> -)
>
> One administrative question that came to my mind is: how difficult
> would it
> be for haiku inc. to pay the hosting bills regularly if those are in
> EUR?

I don't think this would be much of a problem, at least the extra fees
for conversion shouldn't be that high with a credit card.

Bye,
   Axel.