[haiku-development] Re: Learning about file systems

  • From: Janito Ferreira Filho <jvffprog@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Haiku Development <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 20:14:29 +0000

Hi,

FAT would be a nice start. I would also recommend reading: "UNIX Filesystems -
Evolution, Design & Implementation". There is also a "Simple FileSystem" or SFS
which was designed to be simple (IIRC it was made by hobby OS programmers for
introducing file systems). Another file sytem wich is not as simple but still
useful at least for an initial understanding, and is more UNIX-like is ext2. It
also has plenty of information on the net.

As for coding, I highly suggest that before you try anything, you read some
code (I find Haiku's code clean and easy to read), as this will teach you the
innards of the file systems. If you really want to code something, you could
write a "image viewer" which would be similar to Linux loopback mounting (ie.
you mount a file rather than a partition). This way you're not actually messing
with any disks or real partitions, and you can test your image file by mounting
through linux too.

Hope this helps, and have fun =)

Janito